Monday, January 9, 2012

Batman: Literary Triumph



     I am drawn to a specific type of story. I love Sherlock Holmes, Jason Bourne, The Count of Monte Cristo, Batman, and I recently read a novel called Shogun. All of the characters in these stories don't have a rags-to-riches tale. They aren't unwilling heroes, they aren't fulfilling some grand destiny, and they never rejected the call to be a hero. They start out strong, smart, talented and clever, and - with the exception of Sherlock - are terribly wronged. Be it by chance, conspiracy, or nature, each of the above men are thrown into a world they must adapt to, master, and then ultimately manipulate. I don't know why I like these stories so much;  it's probably an attraction to power at some level. But when you read through the above characters and titles, they are all well renowned works of fiction and literature. Sherlock lives on today, Bourne was Robert Ludlum's greatest triumph, The Count is considered a classic, and Shogun has its merits as well. Does Batman belong in that list?

Nothing about this guy isn't cool
     There's been a long, intellectual debate if comics can be art. I think they settled on "yes," though the answer wasn't that simple. But, more specifically, can a "superhero" by a triumph of literature? In general, I doubt it, with Batman, certainly.
     Like The Count of Monte Cristo, Batman was wronged at a young age, trained and learned in solitude, inhereted a buttload of money, returned home in a disguise and was loved and famous. Like Jason Bourne, his family was taken from him and he broke down. Like Sherlock, he has an encyclopedic knowledge and understanding of the world around him and solves crimes on higher plane than the police. (Actually, I think the Batman story borrowed heavily from all of those characters, as well as Zorro.)
     My fascination with Batman began at a young age. I liked his cool cave, fast car, and that he threw batarangs. He was in a simply perfect cartoon that caught me at the right age. But I was also into Spider-man and Superman and The Ninja Turtles when I was young, and all of those interests have essentially faded (meaning I don't express them in public too often). But I still find Batman very compelling.
     He's terribly human. He fails all the time. He once had a Robin die under his watch (there have been multiple Robins, each less gay than his predecessor). Another partner was paralyzed by The Joker. He's been tricked and manipulated by women he loved. He's had his back literally broken by a nemesis. He has to live with these failures and deal with them daily, and they play with his mind and are a backdrop for every decision he makes. Reading his stories is very similar to reading about more respected characters from literature's annals.
This blog exists to justify more cool pictures
     He's not like other superheroes. Superman is fun because you get to see just how strong he is. But every comic kind of has to one-up the previous comic. He lifts a car, then a plane, then a boat, then a building, then an asteroid. He once saved the whole universe by restarting its energy or something. Pretty soon you realize that to make Superman interesting, he has to be an idiot. He has super strength and speed, but somehow decides to stop and talk, real close, to the bad guy with kryptonite behind his back. Superman's stories lose their hold after a while, because of course he's going to win. His dog is stronger and smarter than all of us.
     I could go on and on. In fact I plan to, some other time(s). I think Batman is worth reading, simply because he's downright interesting. Not just in a "wow he just beat up 17 people!!" way, but simply as a character with flaws, depth and struggles.

     If you'd like to try reading some Batman, the "graphic novel" (fancy term for "collection of comics") called Batman: Hush is phenomenal. The artwork is stunning, the characters and plot move fast, and the story is very clever. Go sit in Borders Barnes and Noble, buy a coffee and read it.
     (I like to believe that if you buy a drink you aren't stealing so much as paying for a service.)
Worth reading

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of things before I begin my Superman evaluation.
1.) You should add “Les Miserables” by Victor Hugo to your reading list if you haven’t already. Not the movie or the musical but the book.
2.) Also add “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Bronte. You may have some preconceived notion that this is a chick book and there is some validity to that, because the hero of the book is a girl, but one day you may have a girl child and she will need heroes.


Superman vs Batman
I like Batman but Superman is my hero.
I have not read any Batman or Superman comic books for a long time and I am mostly familiar with them because of the TV shows that I watched as a kid in both live and animated forms (re-runs of course, if I had watched them when they first aired that would make me really old).
I like the idea of Superman because he exhibits the inner strength that it takes to be humble.
Superman has no one to share his secret with. Batman has Robin and Alfred. Superman is alone and it takes an immense amount of strength to endure his life as nerdy, bumbling Clark Kent when in fact he is Superman. This may be pushing it but, for me, Superman displays the humility of Jesus in a fictional form.
As much as we may strive no human can compare with the grace and humility of Jesus. Superman endures insults and humiliation just like Jesus did, without revealing who he really is.
You can feel the torture that Superman endures as Clark Kent, he is in love with Lois Lane and she is in love with Superman. It takes an immense amount of strength to be the lowly, bumbling Clark Kent in front of Lois, and everyone else for that matter.
Jesus endured insults and humiliation in Pilots court, as well as pain and suffering. He died a brutal death on the cross when He could have “sent 10,000 angels” to save Him.
We, as humans, are not capable of this kind of quiet grace; Superman is because he is fictional. I think in the end he does eventually reveal himself to Lois, although I don’t think he ever did in the TV show.
As a kid Superman could have been the champion of every sport and popular with the girls, but instead he controls his incredible strength and abilities so as not to be discovered.
Just as Jesus was fully human when he walked on this earth, the fictional Superman is given human qualities, desires, dreams and goals. What makes Superman my hero is the struggle within himself to act for the good of others and not take what he wants for himself.
Batman doesn’t have superhuman powers just really cool stuff in a James Bond sort of fashion. His motivation is revenge. He is wealthy and attractive as Bruce Wayne, people (girls) are attracted to him both as Batman and Bruce Wayne - I certainly was as an adolescent girl - the tension in the Batman stories is created by the conflict between the good guys and the bad guys, and not the inner struggle that Superman exhibits.
I like the idea of Superman; I appreciate the battle that goes on inside of him more than I care about Batman taking out The Joker. Maybe it’s just a girl thing.

mykidisspecial said...

Nancy,

Thanks for the reply. I think you are completely right about Superman and his inner-struggle. It is the real driving force behind is story. But, personally, I just don't find it that interesting. I think part of it comes down to his purpose. You compared him to Jesus, which I think is accurate in a lot of ways. Sent as a baby from a God-like place. But Jesus was sent to save the world, Superman was sent to be saved.
In fact, Lex Luthor's obsession with Superman is driven by the fact that he feels Superman stunts humanity. People no longer feel the need to grow and explore and improve upon humanity, because they aren't going to reach Superman's level anyways. It's quite fascinating, in my mind, and has a standalone story or conceptual idea it's very intriguing. But as a serial story that continues to be told, it doesn't grip me.
Batman's struggle is good guys vs bad guys, as you said, but I think it is much more about his internal struggle than you give it credit for. He's not seeking revenge, he just wants to make sure that what happened to him never happens to anyone else. He is an incredibly broken person, despite all of that stuff he has going for him (that you mentioned). In fact, his broken-ness it was drives most of it (his desire to find and help a Robin, his reliance on Alfred, the reason he cannot kill people like the Joker and the reason he won't use a gun). Read an ongoing story about Batman can remain interesting because of his flaws and inner struggle, whereas there's not really any reason Clark Kent couldn't just become awesome and win over Lois Lane at this point, or explain that he is Superman (in fact, in the comics they get married... then separated... then I don't know.)

Anonymous said...

Grant,

I love reading your blog because it either:
a.) challenges me to think
b.) makes me laugh or
c.) both

I am happily ignorant of any relationship between Clark and Lois coming to fruition and then demise. I don't want to know. Anytime the couple creating tension because they're not together gets together, it ruins the story, ie Bones, Grey's Anatomy.

I have put some Batman material on my reading list. I have always liked Batman but more for his good looks and "knight in shining armor" qualities.
I too was orphaned as a child, brokenness fits.