Monday, January 9, 2012

Reconnecting With Old Flames

     I'm not sure how to go about interacting with previous girlfriends (or girls that I liked, or - much more common - girls that were in love with me). Today I came across three ladies that I used to be quite fond of.  Emily, Natalie, and Martie are their names, and we ran into each other in a garage - working on cars - of all places.

     You might know them as The Dixie Chicks.

     My fondness of The Dixie Chicks is more akin to stockholm syndrome than true affection. For my first two years of highschool, I spent nearly all of my time in the backseat of my older sister's car. She was invariably driving and giggling with her friend Lindsey, and they listened to a lot of those chicks from Dixie. I had no choice.
     I did not like them. They were girly and whiny and annoying. Incubus was just soooo much better. But, as it always happens, there was one song that on one day I found funny. That song where Earl has to die. (After rewatching that video, that's Jenna Maroney from 30Rock playing the, um, murderer!!)
     I would perk up when Goodbye Earl would play. Then I started to like Sin Wagon. Soon, I too felt readreadyreadyready ready to run, because all I was ready to do was have some fun. I don't know if I can name any other songs, but I bet if one came on I could sing along with it, and would enjoy it.

     So my poor friend and I are in his shop working on my car, which isn't starting everytime anymore. It also locks itself. Anyways, I am one the phone with the parts shop, looking for a solenoid coil to put in the starter. You know, man stuff. I'm talking with the guy at Knecht's (probably named Earl) and all of a sudden Wide Open Spaces comes on the radio (I can name that one too). I tell my friend, without thinking, "I love the Dixie Chicks," which I am sure the guy on the other end overheard. Nothing like manly car working while professing emotions for that early 2000's girls band.

     I would like to add that Ashley and Lindsey laughed about the dumbest stuff. They'd need gas and start laughing. Again?! We just bought gas yesterday!! They'd drive into a gas station, and say let's see if we can pay for a quarter of gas!? The gas-man would come up and they'd hand him a quarter, ask for regular, and do their patented spit-take laughs. When the guy gave them their gas, they'd drive off and say ohmygosh he thought we were so weird. Laughing all the way.
     I swear we spent like half an hour a day at gas stations. I'd offer to pay a few bucks just so I wouldn't learn the gas-man's names. I had a lot of fun with those girls, though. They'd let me ride with them to football games, and if it was an away game we'd get there by halftime (it's hard finding North Eugene). We'd pick up six thousand people to take to young life club. Sometimes a song they loved would come on and we'd jump out of the car and start dancing. I wouldn't trade those two years for three or four of those years, no sir.

     Other things-of-yore that I have rediscovered: 
     The tv show Scrubs. It is still great in its early seasons. My college roommates and I watched this show more than any other.
     Seeing things. I got glasses again. They are a bit crooked though. I always feel bad making those glasses people at the store try and fit my crooked ears over and over and over again, so I leave and say thanks. Unfortunately, I sprung for the super bendy frames, so I can't correct them myself. Also, they are transition lenses which are kind of embarrassing when I walk indoors on a sunny day.
     Video game music from when I was young. I think that one is self explanatory.
     Naps.

     Other things that could go into a list:
     Trampolines.
     Board games. I like playing them a lot, and luckily I have a lot of friends that do too. It's fun that there are lots of good games that aren't the boring "family" games that I grew up with. I hope I never have to play Sorry again.
     Minivans. Why on earth does my wife want a minivan for our one child? It's a bit early, right?
     Trucks. We need a truck!
     

1 comment:

elkhunt said...

So I woke up last night and could not sleep... want to hear more old man problems? Anyway, read a theology book for an hour and then checked my email and found your post. Had to laugh out loud (that LOL, or lol, either works I am told). Very funny and fun to live your high school days with you. Cruising around with Ashley and Lins... it could have been much worse.