Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lady Music

I feel odd having this picture, as well as this
mostly-embarassing-admission on something with my name on it.

     I recently admitted to a certain fondness for The Dixie Chicks. There were roots to that fondness that I had no control over, so I could admit it more freely. It was a coping mechanism during a period of my life where I had no control. If I didn't like The Dixie Chicks I would have gone crazy. In general, I am not terribly fond of music performed by women. Not because they are women, but because my favorite genres aren't populated by many females. Carol King, Norah Jones and No Doubt all appear on my ipod, but beyond that I am a guy-and-his-guitar guy.
     Well, I've recently become pretty attached to Adele and her breakups. In fact, her albums are poised to be the first music I will purchase in like four years. (Now that I wrote that, I've stopped and thought about it. I bought a Pink Martini album about two years ago, and that is my only music purchase since my freshman year of college, methinks). I can't get enough Adele, which is surprising because I listen to the radio, where it's impossible to go 4 blocks without hearing one of her songs.
     I think my manhood can survive some classy taste in music. So I'll admit that beyond Adele I am pretty obsessed with the Wicked soundtrack. What my manhood can't survive is Glee.

     I don't love Glee. I don't even like Glee. The wife used to watch it occasionally, and sometimes they'd play a song I liked. But now that New Girl is a staple of our weekly TV watching, and since Glee is on before New Girl, I find those annoying "teenagers" and their problems on my screen more and more.
     The show is annoying.
     The music is often boring.
     This might have been the best two and a half minutes of television I've seen in years:




     The wife actually walked in to tell me something halfway through the song when it was on TV, and I shshed her and said "Wait, listen. This is really impressive." You might not find it as enjoyable as I do if you don't listen to Adele. Is this embarrassing? Probably. But I am married and no longer need to attract a mate, so I can wear transition lenses and cut my own hair and admit to embarrassing things more freely now.

     I don't honestly know where my addiction to things like Adele, Wicked and some of these YouTube clips come from. I have probably listened to the above clip over a dozen times (I treat YouTube like a jukebox so I can listen to songs that I don't actually want to buy while I do work).
     One thing that I have learned is that I don't listen to lyrics much. I can sing along with pretty much any song I have heard more than twice, but I never really think about it. So when Adele is Chasing Pavements over and over, I have no idea what that means or why she is wondering if she should keep doing it, I just sing along. It's not like the message of Adele that resonates with so many women is resonating with me. I can just claim to like good music, I suppose.

     Why am I telling you this? I don't know, why are you still reading it?

     What, you're not? Oh. I'll make sure to post some manly, look-at-what-a-badass-I-am stuff soon to regain my street cred.

No comments: