Thursday, November 10, 2011

Stuff That Happened To Me Today

     A student of mine at LCC went deer hunting and brought me back some venison steaks and a stew. Do I have to give him an A now? This is a quandary. It was very thoughtful of him to give me some meat without me prompting him at all. I guess, When he told me he was going to miss class because he was deer hunting, I said "if your freezers full you can always throw some venison my way," but it's not like I asked for some venison.
     More subtly, on the first day of classes I always begin by saying "My name is Grant Gilchrist, I've been teaching here for two years, and I can be bribed." As a government employee I feel like that's the right thing to do.

     I grabbed my frozen burrito and put it in the microwave for a few minutes, and went to my office to check facebook grade. When the microwave beeped that it was finished, I went back to the kitchen and checked the freezer again. My burrito wasn't there (venison still was, luckily). Where did it go?! Did someone seriously steal my frozen burrito? As I was freaking out I smelled it in the microwave and felt like an idiot.

     Did you know that a gallon's size was determined by the size of a goat's stomach? I really hope that's true because I've been telling my students that for years.

     I think I encountered my first brown recluse spider: the very poisonous spider that lives in the northwest and hides in dark, dank corners. I was moving a bag of pellets from a corner of the garage to the pellet stove, and I'm pretty sure that bag had been sitting there for a couple of years. When I picked it up, I thought "I bet there's a brown recluse under this thing. Sure enough!!! There, on the bottom side was a big, really dark spider with a huge butt (that must hold all of its deadly poison I am sure) that started moving around frantically. I ran with the bag into the house, threw it on the stove, and freaked out a little. I did my best to bury the spider underneath the pellets and hope it burns.
     I told all of my friends about my near-death encounter. Then I looked up brown recluses. Turns out they don't look like the thing I've had nightmares of, and don't tend to live up here. It definitely wasn't a recluse on my bag. I don't plan to tell my friends this.

     I was subbing at a high school and a kid just got up, went to the back of the room, sat on the counter and started talking on his phone. I wasn't teaching or anything, it was general work time, so it wasn't offensive or disrespectful. Usually if I see a kid texting, I write down my "phone number" on the board, and if they are asking their friends for help with math they can just text me. This makes them blush like crazy, and depending on the reaction I will start calling them "texter" and have texter work on the problem I was doing. It's lots of fun for everyone except maybe one person.
     Well, this was a new one for me (someone cavalierly on the phone in the back of the room). I grabbed my phone, held it up to my ear, and started talking on the phone right next to him. "Yeah, so I guess this is the place in the room where we just get on the phone and talk. No, there's not any more appropriate place to do this. Yeah, I know, right!?" Then I started basically repeating whatever he was saying on the phone into my phone.
Picture on my phone
     He turned to me, showed me his iphone picture and said "I'm talking to my dad." I showed him my phone with a picture of Wyatt on the desktop and said "I'm talking to my mom!!" He handed me the phone and said "no really."  He was talking to his dad. Not that it's any better. I handed back the phone and started yelling at people (on my phone) to buy low/sell high, move the inventory and stop mismanaging my funds. Things like this went on for a bit longer until I was bored. He outlasted me.

     When subbing, I try to not call of names for attendance if I can help it. It kind of halts the class, people start talking, and it reminds the class that I am not in charge. So if I have a seating chart, I just use it, and if not I take attendance at the end. I work really hard at saying people's names right on the first try. I usually read through the list once or twice to myself before I go live, and try to work through how I think names are pronounced.
     I was doing a great job. I called Juan Juan, Jesus "hey-suess" and Julia "who-leah." But her name was Julia Anderson. Julia with a J. And I'm an idiot.

No comments: