Thursday, December 1, 2011

Stuff That Happened Today/Recently

     Remember earlier when I said I had a student who was a comedian, and he said he'd written some new jokes that have me in them? He told me that he's doing a show in March in Eugene (and several others around the NW) and that he has all new material, where I am mentioned by name. He's giving me two tickets and holy crap I'm excited. Stay tuned.

     Early in the term at Lane Community College, a student came in to my office hours for some help. After he was done and was walking out, he jokingly said "I'll be back often, you'll probably get sick of me." I chuckled and jokingly replied "yeah, I probably will."
     Fast forward eight weeks and he comes in to my office hours again and says "sorry to bother you, I know you don't like it when people see you in your office" all sheepishly. He took me seriously! He'd been afraid to come to my office all term! I felt awful. But I told him I was joking and that he had been joking and come on!! I'd feel really bad, except he hadn't come to class for like four weeks for various reasons. I guess I come on a little too strong. Another example of me coming on too strong:

     There was a girl at the high school staring at a the wall while I was teaching. There was a poster of the boy's soccer team on the wall. I don't think she was staring directly at the poster, but we had this conversation:
     "Maggie, is your boyfriend on the soccer team?"
     She looks up at me and is a bit confused. "No..."
     "Do you wish you had a boyfriend on the soccer team?"
     She's still confused. "No, why?"
     "Because you've been staring at that poster of the boy's soccer team for like 5 minutes, so I figured you must like one of them."
     She starts blushing and giggling a little "No..."
     "Okay, but if you had to date one of them, which one is it?"
     "No one," laughing pretty hard.
     "Come on, which one is the cutest? If I walk over to your desk will there be a name with a bunch of hearts drawn around it?"
     It went on for a bit longer.

     This happened last year. The girl in the conversation had just switched into my class. Like, a week before this happened, halfway through the year. She looked around at the rest of the class, wondering what was going on. Some students turned to her and said "he's like that, it happens to all of us." Luckily she was a confident girl and we get along great.

     Subbing is really easy the first time. You start class the moment the bell rings, glare at and speak sternly to the first kid that tries to talk over you, and pretend like your the boss for a period. But when you sub for a  teacher over and over the students get used to you, they figure out that you are all bark and no bite, they start to push their limits, and you don't know the classroom norms. Today I subbed for a class for like the 8th time this year, and they are on to me. They try to leave early, turn in late homework, sit with their friends and other sinister activities.
     I used to really enjoy subbing, because you don't have to grade papers, take work home, or see the same kids every day. But as soon as I got my job at LCC I couldn't stand subbing any more. It's so boring. BUT, I am happy to have the work and the opportunity to make more contacts, and I know I am a good math sub, which is hard to find.

No comments: